3 December 2010

aerodynamic upgrading

yesterday was my coldest messenger shift on a bike to date. thank goodness for army surplus stores where I found some awesome gloves the day before for 6euros! I also finally found a use for the dorky scarf type things I bought for my first snow experience 7 years ago but never really used. face-covering-dork-scarf-things are the new beard. and after a days riding and heavy breathing through them, im pretty sure they'd repel almost all insects, and most humans.



the hard working titanium bike got some aerodynamic fake titatium upgrades for the day too. the pretty shapes got me thinking, and there's plenty of time for thinking while delivering packages, about aerodynamics. mostly because the shapes the fake titanium formed, over and over no matter how many times I tried to shake it off by hopping over imaginary obstacles hidden by all the fake titanium on the ground. these new shapes however were familiar, look at just about any over priced and engineered time trial bike and you'll see them. but they were formed by the air leaving the bike, mostly just air leaving the wheels, not by the air approaching the bike. now I had heard that a lot of aerodynamic design was about helping the air leave the object smoothly, but it was interesting to see it in practice. or maybe my brain was just a little cold...




anyway, I couldn't let the work bike get all the upgrades this week. I spent some hard earned money on some new brakes for the cyclocross race bike. I've read mixed reviews about the frogglegs brakes, but because the spooky origionals are pretty hard to come by, and around double the price, in the name of losing weight and increasing mud clearance, I decided to give them a try anyway. they even got a koolstop pad upgrade before the test ride. i hear these pads are the best in the business, so i look forward to testing them out in rijswijk at tomorrow's race

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:09 pm

    That is very cool and a good point! IF the engineers have got it right then you were riding backwards all day long-good going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe yeah, it did look like i had been riding backwards all day at times. funny tho that the snow accumulated where it did, cos there was enough of it flying around that it could have accumulated anywhere i reckon. so it was a combination of landing, sticking and being kept there by wind that determined the shape. i wonder if it made me faster..?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were practicing backwards circles by the fixie cafe all day, admit it!

    Thise brakes are looking good! Kool-stop all the way!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors